List of top five Seri products:- 1. Mulberry 2. Silkworm Larva 3. Pupa 4. Waste Silk 5. Silk Moths.
Seri Product # 1. Mulberry:
(1) Neutraceutical compounds in leaves:
Tea made from mulberry leaves is popular in China, Japan and Korea; it is beneficial for diabetic and hypertensive patients. DNJ, GBBA present in mulberry leaves reduces glucose level and blood pressure.
(2) Antioxidants in mulberry fruits:
Ripe mulberry fruits are used to make jam, jelly, pickle and wine.
(3) Fuel and compost making from mulberry:
Mulberry waste wood is a good source of cellulose for paper and chipboard industries.
(4) Mulberry shoots can be used as staking material for climbers of vegetable, ornamental or fruit crops and mushroom cultivation.
(5) Hard woods from mulberry are used for making hockey sticks and cricket bats.
Seri Product # 2. Silkworm Larva:
(1) Products from silkworm faeces:
In China, chlorophyll, phytol, carotene, and pectin are extracted from silkworm faeces and used in food, chemical and pharmaceutical industries.
(2) Silkworm litter is also used as fodder and compost material.
Seri Product # 3. Pupa:
Oil extracted from silk moth pupa has numerous industrial applications. After oil extraction, oil cake can be used as moulding material in bakelite industry. Silkworm pupa can also be used as feed for fowl, fish and pig as it is rich in protein.
A fungus Cordyceps sinensis cultured on pupae/moths, by use of recombinants have anti-tumour and anti-ageing properties.
Seri Product # 4. Waste Silk:
Waste silk which cannot be reeled or spun is used to make silk film or silk powder which is used as feed additive for cosmetic products. Sericin can be used for the preparation of skin care items as it can provide excellent protection against ultraviolet rays.
Seri Product # 5. Silk Moths:
Silk moths are used as feed for livestock. Moths are also used for preparation of fungal medicine.